“My children were still little,” said Osorio. “They grabbed them like cats and smashed them against a pine tree.”
Phi Beta Iota: Unstated is the role the US Government played in arming, training, and encouraging the Guatemalan military in its “anti-communist” crusade.
Since the end of World War 2, the United States has:
- Attempted to overthrow more than 50 foreign governments, most of which were democratically-elected.
- Dropped bombs on the people of more than 30 countries.
- Attempted to assassinate more than 50 foreign leaders.
- Attempted to suppress a populist or nationalist movement in 20 countries.
- Grossly interfered in democratic elections in at least 30 countries.
- Plus … although not easily quantified … more involved in the practice of torture than any other country in the world … for over a century … not just performing the actual torture, but teaching it, providing the manuals, and furnishing the equipment.
As many as 1 million people were killed by Indonesia’s Cold War regime—and we still don’t know the full story of our government’s involvement.